Image Map

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Throw Back Thursday: Portland Vacation

So.... I know it's only throwing it back a little over a week, but hey it's still in the past. My cousin Kelly and I visited our godfather and godsons (and our aunt Kristen) in Portland last week. Where, once again I continually asked myself, "why don't I live in the mountains?"It was a great trip and I really loved the city of Portland. We stayed in the SE neighborhood of Woodstock!

The first night there we went to dinner at the HUB: Hopworks Urban Brewery. It was such a neat place. The bar is decorated with recycled bike frames and the place is huge, apparently there are two locations in Portland. We got there early because we were eating with the kiddos (2 & 4), it was already packed. The two rooms towards the back are geared at families and kids, they have books and train tables for the kids to play with. We had a few incidents at dinner ( a puker and a spill) and the staff was so helpful and calm. The beer was great, as a non beer drinker I can't recall what I had but I know I enjoyed it. The menu had plenty of options for all dietary restrictions- vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and the good old meat lovers' dishes as well. To top it all off the place is completely sustainable, their mission is “(to)produce world-class beer and food as sustainably as possible.”  Every aspect of the company is "green". Check out the video above.


 In an effort to keep my clothing sustainable I am a huge fan of resale stores. Newly opened on Woodstock Ave. is Red Fox Vintage. I got an amazing top from the 1920's-- rockin' it tonight, pics to follow. The place is a goldmine for finding amazing pieces (clothing, furniture, and trinkets) from all different periods. It is beautifully organized, I want to move to Portland and host time period parties just so  I have a reason to shop there and buy everything from house coats, kimonos,  gowns, and head pieces. I MEAN if you have a Mad Men party this is the place, and it won't cost you your monthly grocery budget.





Another favorite from the trip--- there were so many great places---was the cake that showed up at a birthday dinner. GEM bakery is named for the daughters of the owner, all three of whom eat a gluten free diet. The bakery does only GF so there is no cross contamination, it also offers vegan desserts. I have had my fair share of vegan desserts and this takes the cake, the chocolate peanut butter cheesecake, pun totally intended. The non-vegans loved it and had no idea at first that it was dairy free. The crust was crunchy and the cheesecake part was delish. The bakery does mostly phone in and wholesale orders but does have a small cooler with treats if you walk in, they also distribute to stores in the Portland area.

MMMM! http://glutenfreegem.com/index.html
They also are using the Portland pedal delivery= sustainable delivery of their delicious bites around the city!


Since I ate more cheesecake in 24 hours than I had in the last six months--which considering I had not eaten any isn't that much :)-- I rode the bike to The BHAKTISHOP for some yoga early Monday morning. It is an adorable little studio offering Kirtan and all sorts of wonderful yogic programs to the community. Upon signing in I was handed a welcome envolope with coupons, chocolate, and a schedule--so adorable. The class was amazing, it was a vinyasa 2 meaning it was more basic poses put together in a more challenging way, it felt great. We chanted before the practice, which I am a lover of chanting so I was happy and then I was sad because I was only able to make it to one of their classes, I left yoga blissed and will for sure be going back when I am in Portland  next.
http://underthetablewithjen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/bhaktishop.jpg


Last, but not least I loved the Columbian George area, we went hiking to the waterfalls and also visited the cutest little lake/mountain town and watched the kite/wind surfers.







 Till next time Portland!!

No comments:

Post a Comment