Image Map

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dry Skin Destroyers- Take that winter!!


While I love the snow and the coziness that winter can offer, it can also bring about a plethora of discomfort. Before moving to Chicago, where it is winter or at least dry for about five months, we lived in New Orleans, a sauna for five months and still humid the rest of the time. My skin and body were not used to the dry and itchy conditions last winter. This year I have a few tools that have helped me fight wrinkles, bloody noses, and dry itchy skin.

I have had a few melt downs this winter about the discomfort that blasting the heat brings on, these melt downs were followed with a full body slathering in coconut oil (including the inside of the nose).

I am pleased to introduce Destroyer numero 1: Cocount oil
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDqhd-i7KGNuhyAS9s1wlo-zGn8pqCX8Voqu3xFEN9eOpCxzs 

In Ayurveda there is the practice of Abhyanga  which is a daily oil massage. I have somewhat adapted this practice to combat my winter skin. Before getting in the shower use an oil- coconut, sesame, or other specialty massages- and gently warm it up. Apply it all over the body without rubbing it in too much. After the oil has a chance to absorb a bit into the skin begin massaging it into your skin in a circular motion making your way all over. Instead of wiping it off with a towel as some methods encourage I hop right in the shower. 

This practice, besides hydrating the skin, helps improve circulation, release toxins, calms the nerves, and if done at night can lead to a deeper sleep. 

For a further explanation this page does a great job offering an in-depth guide to Abhyanga.

2. Star Flower Skin Care Products
                                             
In the winter I apply this morning and night. In summer just at night. Smells divine.

Thick and luxurious skin cream
SO..because of the dry air I began to convince myself that I was developing deeper wrinkles around my eyes...I took it harder than I thought and caved and bought a Retinol A product. I was so disappointed and rather convinced that my wrinkles looked way worse while using the product. I have been using Star Flower Products for the last three years and love them ALL. Piper from Essential Elements  is my go to for all skin care and holistic dealings. I told her of my new eye wrinkles and she sent me over a sample of the Gold/Lavender Face Cream...I'm OBSESSED. Around my eyes I double it up on top of my Skin Dance. I can't put it all over my face because I am likely to break out and Skin Dance Serum totally takes care of my face and neck without breakouts. 

The rose gold lip balm... stays on, feels amazing, smells good, have I mentioned it feels damn good. It can double for wrinkles, cuticles, and just dry anything.



And while I love slathering my skin in smell good feel good products, Piper reminded me that hydrating form the inside is just as important.

3. You are what you eat--eat fruits full of water and hydration
I have made sure to load up on green smoothies and coconut water. Drinking lots of water is key to having beautiful skin and not feeling like a raisin. 

4. Humidify the Air
I received this adorable little humidifier for Christmas and have felt a lot better since. It is great for skin care, reducing nose bleeds, and a better air quality.
 
I think it looks like a little smurf. It is important to clean the water and basin so that you don't put toxins and all that collects there back into the air. 


These four little tools have helped me feel more comfortable this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment