Image Map

Saturday, January 18, 2014

"So what do you eat?", the social side of a dietary restriction

This January marks one year of my eating a non-ovo, non-lacto, pescatarian diet. Those labels pretty much sum up my eating habits, to put it easily I eat seafood but other than that follow a vegan or plant based diet. By now most family and friends know that I don't eat meat and some get it all together--then there is my adorable father who cooks something and then asks afterwards if it's okay that he used chicken broth.

Needless to say my dietary lifestyle choices have led to some challenging situations. I have had to walk out of resturants after looking at the menu, bring my own food to dinner parties, having to request that we eat elsewhere when with a group of people, and the sure to come dinner conversation about "So what do you eat?" and the why's. It is highly likely that new and interesting situations will continue to come.

What I have learned over this past year-
  • Always check the menu online before going to a restaurant and/or call ahead to see if they can prepare something without butter etc.
  • When RSVPing to a dinner or event kindly let the host know that of the restrictions and offer to bring a dish to share
  • Take people up on their offer of providing you with a separate dish a dinner-- everyone feels way more awkward when you do as you sit there not eating.
  • Always keep a bag of nuts, trailmix, or bar in my purse.
  • When I am going with my husband (or a friend) to a party they have always come through for me letting the host know about their pain in the rear guest.
  • When hosting always ask if there are any dietary restrictions. In a city full of soy free, gluten free, lactose free, vegetarian, paleos, and vegans it is nice to be able to accommodate as many people as possible. Pot lucks are always a great option because people will generally bring a dish they can eat.
Never fail, if it is my first time eating with a person or group of people there is for sure to be a discussion about my diet. I really don't mind and completely understand their curiosity.  Although I know my sister and husband feel that I always talk about what I eat, I continuously point out that it is not me that starts the conversation.

So, why do I eat this way?

It started about three and a half years ago when I cut out dairy to help me shed some extra pounds, I really didn't eat dairy for about two years and when I started again I just felt terrible afterwards. So for me cutting out dairy wasn't hard-- I have developed an aversion to it.

My husband's explanation to others about why- "She watched a documentary." I did, two in fact. I had done a good bit of research before hand about plant based diets and part of that research included the Forks Over Knives documentary and Vegicate. After learning about the China Study and meat consumptions connection to cancers, diseases, and the environmental impact of consuming meat I wanted to make changes.

My family has a large history of cancers, colon included,  and heart disease so if I can easily cut out meat from my diet than why not. I never really enjoyed cooking or eating chicken or pork. So I loaded up on veggies, fruit, whole grains, legumes, and nuts.

I learned that meat consumption and meat farms are one of the largest causes of deforestation in the amazon and of increasing our carbon footprint. I am the daughter of an environmental engineer and a super recycling mother, I was destined to be an Eco-conscious tree-hugger.

And lastly yes-some of what I saw in Vegicate bothered me in regards to animal processing.

This last year I have physically felt great and am really happy with my choice. I understand it is not for everyone and no- at times it is not easy. For example traveling to New Orleans or Montana is hard while going to California, Portland, or Colorado is so exciting. I have been able to do it with the help of some awesome bloggers and have found some incredible recipes that carnivores crave as well. As this post is getting long I will have to post about my favorite resources and recipes that I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment