Image Map

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Halloween: going green- Costumes for the eco-friendly / budget friendly conscious

It's that time of the year!! Happy Halloween-
I love Halloween, it's up there with one of my favorite holidays because I love getting dressed up. I was probably a huge pain in the butt for my mom because, even to this day, I tend to get big ideas when it comes to costumes rather than keeping it simple. I blame the creative, diy'er in me-- and I brought my wonderful, talented mother with me on the ride until I was in college, then it was my Aunt Lucielle and her sewing machine that suffered. 

I was a tissue box one year- resulting in my now refusal to wear a box with any costume, a piece of pie, a fat ref, and then there was my sister who every year went as a witch, I mean like every year. 

Here are a few samples of costumes over the years---
The one year my sister went as Peter Pan instead of a witch. I mean look at that scarecrow- well done mom, I think she made me costume crazy- that lady brought it.

Because like all tween girls, I wanted to be a fat referee...


Awe 4th grade- white tights and a cherry pie costume sewn by my mom, it was super comfortable and rather adorable.
 
Although not a great quality picture, these Aladdin and Jasmine costumes were a labor of love made from scratch on my aunt's sewing machine-which I managed to jam like five times with the silk and thread.
The astronaut was easy, painters coverall, patches from paper, and straps from electrical tape. I wore all grey and silver that I had at home and just bought a pair of $5 volleyball shorts form Academy Sports that I have worn under dresses and with other costumes.
Holly Golightly- one of my favorite characters. I went to the thrift store and bought a huge tuxedo shirt, threw on tights and volleyball shorts, and the day of made the mask from material, gold trim (both bought for super cheap) along with some crystals I had at home and finished it off with tassel earrings. I can reuse this shirt for Mary Poppins one year, the shorts were form the alien costume and the tights have made a number of appearances.

For me, spending about $50-75 on a costume, especially if both of us need  a costume, is just not an option so here are the steps I tend to take to pick out a costume.

1. Get Inspired- look at your DVD's are there any characters or people you would like to play
- think about when you were little, any toys you use to play with that would work
-is there anyone people tell you / significant other that you look like (Christian gets Aladdin sometimes so we went with that)

2. Get Resourceful- use what you, your friends, and your family have. If you need something, head to the Thrift store--maybe there you will find inspiration as well.
-if you must buy something, buy something that can most likely be used again, for the alien costume I wore that shirt out all the time.
- keep the basics, nude tights if taken care of can be worn another year, false eyelashes can be resused (clean them)

3. Get Crafty- When you make your own costume you can be sure that no one else will have the same costume as you.
- it doesn't have to be perfect, if you go for the overall idea with some good details people will get the look , and it is a costume so if you need to clew and staple instead of sew go for it

4. Costume Box- afterwards keep all your stuff organized in a costume box, it will come in handy the following year, you can loan things out to friends, and you never know what you can reuse. If you have kids or one day will this costume box will provide hours of joy and years of costumes. 

Crafting Basics- news paper or an old towel to craft on, hot glue gun, pins, and an imagination.

I am soooo excited what Christian and I came up with for this year--it's going to be one for the books.
Hint: Shopping list includes--feathers, blue and purple paint, red material, cardboard, duct tape. The inspiration came from my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment