Image Map

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recycling furniture

When we first moved to Chicago we had very little furniture and when we went to purchase new furniture we discovered we had very little money--- dressers are dang expensive. I went to the thrift stores around the city but they were all highly picked over and overpriced. I didn't have tons of time to rebuild an old dilapidated piece so off to the suburban thrift stores I went.

I love Arlington Retail!! They have great stuff at a reasonable price, I was able to get the piece below for about $100, and it is a quality heavy piece. I look for real wood, fun details, and dove tailed drawers (my dad always said it was a sign of a well built piece).

Benefits of redoing a dresser:
  1. Save money
  2. Completely personalize the piece to be exactly what you want
  3. Give new life to an old piece 
  4. It's green- new furniture requires the use of materials and resources, often times the more affordable furniture is not as consciously made.
  5. Quality pieces for less than a new lower quality piece
I knew I wanted a calming, earthy and elegant look to our room. The old doors below were some of my inspiration in color combinations. The first door is an old Indian door that now is a part of the Galapagos Safari Camp where we stayed last summer.

This is a door at the Salvaged place next to the Green Project in New Orleans- I can never remember the name of that place.

Who doesn't love Anthropologie knobs? They were my splurge on this piece, I think they ended up being a total of  $112--they had the combination of gold and silver that I wanted.
The paint color is Soothing Spring from the Home Decorators Collection
The  original dresser had this seventies shiny varnish on it so I took out my electric sander, laid down lots of old towels and sanded the shine away. It took awhile and I had to be careful not to sand off any edges or too much, but just enough so that the shine was gone and there was a slight roughness to the dresser.

After sanding I wiped it down with damp rag and prepared the paint supplies.

It took a few hours to paint, I would leave an hour between coats.

Lastly I added the knobs-- We were really pleasedwith our finished dresser. I must give credit to my dad who sat and watched a football game one afternoon and sawed off the excess end of the screw of the knob that is inside the dresser. I need to get a hot glue gun or something to cover just the very tip of the knob, the end of the screw sometimes catches my clothes and has caused a tiny hole or two.




No comments:

Post a Comment